Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Tux and Brûlée

So This February has been the worst month ever and it can just go ahead and leave now. 

Kuwait has a HUGE stray cat problem. For someone like me it is almost unbearable. I started carrying cat food with me at all times so I could feed the strays that looked like they really needed it or just because I felt like it. Fortunately most of the cats look fairly healthy. I was avoiding taking any in because of the traveling I do and being gone in the summers I didn't want to deal with that. 

About the same time I arrived here a litter of kittens was born near my apartment. I would sometimes see the mom with them. I always made sure to feed her so those kitties had the nutrients they need. 

Well, lately I haven't seen the mom and two of the kittens were left hanging around. I would feed them and soon the recognized me and would always come to me. They started waiting for me when I went to work and when I came one. They were a nice stress relief. One day I petted them when they were eating. They FREAKED a out but then they were like- that was AWESOME!! And they would rub up against me and want more. Sinae and I named them Tux and Brûlée. 

Then one day Tux tried to follow me to school. He would leave the food to follow me. I freaked out all day worried that he would try to cross the busy street and be hit. It was at this point I realized I needed to take them in. They were too friendly and I was too worried about them. 

Since I'm leaving for the Liberation Holiday (Feb24-28) I didn't want to take them in before then. I wanted to be here to help them adjust and I didn't want to take them in and then abandoned them for four days. 

So that was the plan. I made appointments with the vet, I bought carriers, I started feeding them in bowls in a certain spot. They would play on my lap and I thought- this is great, they have each other to play with. 

Then my worst fear came true two days ago. I found out that Brûlée was hit and killed by a car. Believe me when I tell you that no one is more upset about this than I am. I literally cried ALL day- in front of kids and everything. Full on bawling. I probably should have gone home but I didn't want to be there. I'm still really upset about it. 

I'm so sad and angry. Angry at myself for not just taking them in, angry at God for allowing this to happen when I was planning on taking them in a week. (I know that's wrong and bad of me to say but it's how I was feeling.... I'm starting to get over it) But I really thought they would be okay because they had each other and they were born on the street so they were pretty street smart. 

I wasn't sure what to do about Tux and of course I was worried about him. Then Sinae got me worried that Brûlée had been poisoned and not hit (I didn't actually see him and she did, but so did our building manager Sohel and Sohel was pretty sure he'd been hit) but with just a little uncertainty and three different people who volunteered to look in and feed him while I'm gone, I decided I had to get him checked at the vet to make sure he wasn't poisoned and that he was ok. 

Everything checked out and he's ok. It was totally not how I wanted to do it, but I was just too worried about him. I figured he'd either alone on the street or alone in my house but in my house I know he won't be hit by a car.










No comments:

Post a Comment