Saturday, February 14, 2015

Assembly prep #killmenow

This month is INSANE! You won't hear much from me, in fact, I shouldn't be working on this right now. We have had everything possible at work scheduled for this month and then things are crazy with my church calling.

Basically, at my church we don't have paid clergy so members of the congregation have callings and they take on the leadership rolls and church responsibilities in addition to a regular job. Our women's organization is called the Relief Society and the RS leadership consists of a president, two counselors, and a secretary. I'm one of the counselors but this month both the president and the other counselor are out of the country so it's just me and the secretary. AND I was asked to give a talk on Friday. Again, with no paid clergy members of the congregation are asked to speak on assigned topics for 10-15mins. It can be stressful, but it is also nice because when you're researching for your talk you always find lots of cool and great gospel information.

At school we had to order supplies for next year- which was fun but very time consuming. We had to do DRA testing with our kids. We do DRA tests 3 times a year and it measures the student's reading and comprehension skills. It is VERY time consuming because we have to work with each student individually and yet find something the other students can do independently without killing each other or making tons of noise. We also have to do report card comments which is a massive undertaking. After we write ours we have to peer review another teacher's comments. This is also something we only do 3 times a year and it is a nightmare.

The cherry on top is someone brilliantly scheduled our grade assembly in the midst of all of this. Each grade does one assembly a year. Each class has to come up with something to showcase what they have been learning. It is a TON of work. We've pretty much ceased all regular lessons (except one or two a day) to work on our assembly stuff. My students voted to do skits of them fighting (and then solving the problem) and a glow in the dark (blacklight) dance. We've been making iMovies of the skits. I rewrote the lyrics to Everything is Awesome and recorded the kids singing it and that is what they will dance to. One problem- I just put it together and there is no tempo or rhythm. It's a mess. I have no idea how we're going to dance to this. I just have to hope the parents find it cute because it's their kid.
Here's the song- listen at your own risk.

1 comment:

  1. That was awesome! Granted, I was laughing the whole time, but I love the way you re-wrote it, and they sound like they're having a great time. Good luck with the dance ;)

    ReplyDelete