Monday, October 20, 2014

It's dusty!

Today we had a red day. A few days ago my friend Sinae alerted us to the weather report that there would be a dust storm and possibly rain on Monday. Well, we got the dust for sure, now we're waiting for the rain to wash it all away-- fingers crossed! Some time last week we had a little dust storm after school but it wasn't too bad.

Today it started around 11:30/12. The kids were obsessed with looking outside. I had to close the curtains to try to get any work done. One student informed me that he wouldn't be able to go outside because he's allergic to the dust. (this kid is allergic to EVERYTHING and claims that even the smell of nuts causes a reaction) It didn't matter because we watched as they put the red flags out indicating that it was a red day. A red day means that the dust is so bad that the kids can't go outside to play. So we had indoor recess.

It was still dusty when parents (read: nannies and drivers) came to pick up the kids. They were armed with face masks to quickly cover the kid's faces and I was transported back to Korea-- everyone walking around with a face mask. I need to get some and have them on hand. I didn't even have a scarf to cover my face when I walked home an hour later and it was still dusty.

The dust was so thick that I could actually look directly at the sun. That doesn't happen too often. Here's some pics.

the kids were only allowed to go out and buy from the canteen and come back quickly at recess

some of the dust in the hallways- I feel sorry for the cleaning nannies

some of my co-workers came prepared

the walk home

it's not often that you can look directly at the sun and take pictures of it

street light turned on because of the darkness and the sun in the background

No comments:

Post a Comment