Thursday, September 15, 2016

Oil Slick Hair

So I have A LOT of catching up to do. I'm going to go in chronological order and it's going to take forever, but inshallah, I will get it done soon and I will feel better because I won't have this hanging over my head and then I can post pictures from trips without feeling like I need to catch up on other posts first.
ANYWAY
Last February-ish, I came across a hair dying technique called "oil slick" which was like mermaid hair but for people with brown/dark hair. (mermaid hair is basically blond people with rainbow hair) I've always wanted to do something fun with my hair and after thinking about it for awhile I decided to do it.
I was nervous that it might be too out there so I made it very subtle-- perhaps a little too subtle. I only did the bottom half of my hair and I kept the layer on top the same color so that you really didn't see the color unless I pulled my hair up. I actually really loved it!
It took just over 6 HOURS to do the first time and cost A LOT of money. They had to bleach the color out of my hair and then add the fun colors in. It looked really good and was exactly how I asked for it to be done, but I knew the next time I wanted to be more bold.
I probably needed to do the color again after about 6 weeks but I was so busy I didn't have time to do it. I didn't re-color it until 3 months later. With the fading my hair had turned a green, slightly blue, and yellow color and one of my students said it looked like swamp water. The re-coloring took 3 hours and cost A LOT of money.
Ultimately I decided that I just didn't have the time or the money to keep it up the way it needed to be kept so I ended up just cutting it off, which gave me a shoulder length hair cut.
It was fun while it lasted.
I kinda wish I would have gone this bold....  
before

bleaching out the color

there was A LOT of washing in the 6 hours I was there

fun colors

funny hair while she added the colors

she tried blending two colors on each section

I don't have pics, but the next time she didn't blend and I think that worked better

it made a mess...

pretty subtle

kinda too subtle

In certain light it showed better and it showed even more when I pulled my hair up

The next time I added a magenta because I wanted it to show up more. Magenta was a good choice. 

Still pretty subtle, but it showed better.

my sister is AWESOME and doing hair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment