Saturday, October 24, 2015

Shooting the souq and driving through dust


Last weekend we went to the old souq for the photo club and the explore Kuwait club. I brought my big camera but I forgot the card so I ended up shooting with just my point and shoot. (all the photos posted here are totally unedited- no lightroom or anything to make them look better- I was feeling too lazy to do any of that)

I'm still pretty uncomfortable shooting around local people. I'm afraid they'll get mad. Looking at the very few pictures that I took I think I needed to wait some things out a little longer. There were some good opportunities but I needed to wait longer for the right moment. Part of that is because I felt like others didn't want to just sit and wait so I didn't allow myself to wait. The other part is there just wasn't that many people at the souq so it didn't look like the shot I wanted was going to happen. I didn't realize that the souq closes in the middle of the day and reopens later. We got there just before it started to reopen so it was pretty empty, but the lighting was awesome.

We ate at the little food court area there and then started to head home. As we got up to leave we noticed some lightening and thought that was cool. It might actually rain- yea!! About 2 minutes later, half way to the car, the dust storm hit. We hadn't noticed that's actually what those "clouds" were. It was very interesting to be out in as the shop keepers frantically tried to close up shops and get inside. We had been hot and sticky and now we were being coated in dust. Nice.

When we made it to the car, it started to rain a little. Rain + dust storm = mud storm. It was dark, dust everywhere, visibility was low. I couldn't tell where we were because I couldn't see the buildings around us. We had to pull up Google Maps just to find our way home. It was crazy- but I kinda love those things. I think it's the journalist in me. :)
















a friend posted this pic of the dust storm moving in

No comments:

Post a Comment