Saturday, October 31, 2015

Halloween 2015

I love Halloween!!!!

We're not allowed to celebrate it or acknowledge it at all at school. :( I guess the could a couple years ago--like, the year before I got here-- but the ministry came to school when they were celebrating it and our school got in trouble. Or that's the story I heard.

Last year a lot of parents (or maybe it was a just a few really loud ones) were upset when the school said we wouldn't celebrate Halloween because they had bought expensive costumes in Europe over the summer. The first week of school, when I asked my class what they were most excited for in the 2nd grade half the class said Halloween. We tried to get around the no Halloween rule by having a Book Awareness Month and allowing the students to dress as their favorite book character.

This year we weren't even allowed to do that. No costumes at all. Turns out it wouldn't have happened anyway with all the rain. *update from the last rain post: the ministry cancelled school for the students on Thursday. Our school still required all the teachers to go in for professional development.* We would have missed any dress-up day because of the rain.

I LOVE to play with Halloween makeup and I love scary/gory makeup. I think it's fun to figure out how to do it (YouTube is amazing! and Amazon where I bought my special effects makeup over the summer) There was an adult party that some teachers were having. This gave me the opportunity to do something a little scary. I did a sewn-up Chelsea smile. *from Urban Dictionary: A torturing term used all around the world but originating in Chelsea. The victim's hands are tied or held and the sides of there mouth are cut slightly breaking the strong lip structure. The victim is then kicked very hard in the nuts or in the case of a woman a leg is broken and as the victim screams the cuts rip creating the Chelsea Smile. I made big X stitches and stuck the needle through the ripped skin. It took me about 2 hours to do. I think it turned out pretty good. :)

For our church party I toned it down a little and just went with scars. I bought this special effects stuff called rigid collodion. You just draw your scar with a pink lipliner and then apply the rigid collodion over the top of it with several layers. The stuff REALLY stinks, but it makes your skin pucker and gives your scar a 3D effect so it looks totally real. I had fun pretending my cats got me. :)








No comments:

Post a Comment