Monday, August 3, 2015

Kuwait Fishermen

The other day I finished running errands a little early before work, but not with enough time to go home and chill, so I decided to just drove around town for about 15 mins to get to know it better. As I was driving I saw a couple of fishermen working on a net. I decided that I should come back in the early morning and see what kind of photos I could get with the fishermen.

I woke up early- 4:20- so I could be there for sunrise. As I drove downtown, sure enough there were men working on the fishing nets. Now, this is where it really sucks to be a woman, a foreigner, speaking a different language, and without press credentials. I get out of the car with my big'ol camera and I see things I want to shoot, but it's pretty difficult to work the situation. I can't get in as close as I would like to. I can't work the angles as I would like to. The result is the photos aren't that good.

I haven't been taking as many serious photos as I really want to so I'm just happy that I got out and shot something. I also think that if I got out more I would get better at working the situation and feeling more comfortable approaching people (men specifically) here about just taking some shots. I've decided to start a photography group with teachers here this year. It was something I thought about doing last year, but I am for sure going to organize it for this year. Hopefully we will have a lot of fun and get some good photos.

Here's a couple of what I got. I haven't really done much tweaking with them- just a few minor things on a few of them in Lightroom.

I wanted to work this situation more. I would have moved in much closer to this guy in the foreground.... but I just didn't feel comfortable approaching him or moving in as close as I really wanted. 





This is probably my favorite shot from the morning. I think I can make it look better with a few tweaks. 


1 comment:

  1. As a trained photojournalist I imagine it would be very frustrating to not get the shot that you had in mind for expressing a story/moment you wanted to share. However, I must say that I do like the way these came out --with a bit of distance --as it gives more background information to your scene.

    ReplyDelete