Friday, August 28, 2015

Germany- Part 1

Several months back my co-worker asked me to shoot her wedding. The kicker--- it was taking place in Germany. I said, "Heck yeah!" I had never been to Europe and I really wanted to shoot her wedding. She was keeping it VERY small and low key so she didn't want people to know I was shooting it because she didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. After doing a lot of research she figured it was a lot cheaper to hire me and pay for my ticket there than to hire a local wedding photographer. Plus, since I'm her friend I spent all day and took a lot of photos.

I was super nervous though because I'm a little rusty since I don't shoot full-time anymore. Weddings are so important too, so I was very nervous that she wouldn't like the photos. I think they turned out pretty well and I think she likes them too, which is good. She was (is) gorgeous, the location was beautiful, and they are visibly, clearly so in love it made shooting easy. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

They live a little south of Frankfurt in Gimsbach. They were married at this castle ruin that they can see from their house. The weather was beautiful, a little warm, but nice and sunny, not rainy. Her parents were there, his dad was there, and me. Super small. (another point of pressure because all friends and family would be relying on my photos!)

This was the real ceremony, the one they are counting. The legal ceremony has to take place later and in another country because things get complicated when you're a Canadian marrying an American in Germany. I love what her mother said they did when planning the wedding. She asked her, what do you need to feel married? I think so many weddings can get very stressful and blown out of proportion. More brides should keep that in mind-- what do you REALLY need to feel married?

After the ceremony I had planned to go back to the hotel and get photos ready so they could have them before I left. Luckily, they insisted the photos could wait and that what I really needed to do was go explore castles with them.

We ended up seeing 4 different castles in one day. We actually had lunch at a different castle the day before-- castles everywhere in Germany! One castle was so cool- Berg Eltz.  It was super cool because you have to hike DOWN to it. You totally don't expect a castle to be there and then you turn a corner and bam! There it is.

I had such a lovely time. Spending time with them was really good for me. All the parents were really great, Laura and Eugene were amazing and inspiring. I have been feeling a little negative and pessimistic about relationships lately. It was so good to see them so in love and to see that it really can and does work out. It went a long way to restore my faith and hope. :)

Thank you so much for allowing me to document such an important day!!

Getting ready with dad looking on. :) 

Laura and Eugene were the only ones who could drive.
She had to stuff all that dress up in there with her and still make the peddles accessible. 

Everyone-- how sweet and cute is this?!

Just so lovely.

This is one of my favorites. Just a sweet moment between them. 

Off in the distance you can see their apartment from here. 

Right after the ceremony the bells on this church started to ring. It was pretty much perfect. 



On the way to Laura's one of the train stops was Frankenstein. I thought it was funny. 

Cute little town square. 

Cute little town alley. 

A castle... my first European castle. I also like that there's a VW bug parked outside. Germany. :)
 
This sign outside the castle was funny. 

Yummy food (including bacon!!!) at the restaurant at the castle. 











It was cool how it incorporated the natural stone with the walls of the castle. 









Rhubarb-- makes me think of Penny and April. This actually ended up being a soda I think-- not alcoholic. 

The church by the castle where they got married. 


The hotel I stayed at left gummy bears instead of chocolates on the pillows. Awesome. 

The hotel I stayed at. Built in 17... something. 

Berg Eltz-- the castle you hike down to. 

Cool dragon rain spouts. 























The restaurant we had dinner at inside a castle. 



1 comment:

  1. I think the pictures (all of them!) turned out perfectly! Thank you for being there for our special day, and for helping us share it with the ones we love around the globe.

    ReplyDelete