Friday, December 5, 2014

Thanksgiving


With Thursday off that gave us a lovely three day weekend. On Thursday a bunch of the Americans from church gathered at the home of the Cheney family. The Cheney's are from Idaho Falls and Bro. Cheney graduated from high school the same year I did with my cousin across town at Skyline. Small world :) It was yummy and it was fun to just sit and chat with everyone. I made everyone tell me their how we met stories- which I just LOVE. There were several adults, even more kids. It was crazy fun. I neglected to take photos, but luckily Cheryl did and she sent them so I have some photos to share. 

the kids

my friend Annike and me

This little girl could not get enough. You should have seen her with the hummus. :) 

The adults

A few weeks earlier, another friend from church had asked if I had plans for the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I said no and she then asked if I would like to come to her place. She lives at the Chevron compound (where we had that awesome beach party) and every year the Chevron people host soldiers from the nearby base for Thanksgiving. I think my response was- heck yeah!! 

I asked if we could request single officers over 30. Leslie just laughed. I was serious. 

Even though she did not pass along my request, it was a lot of fun. It was pretty much a whole day thing with chilling at the beach and just hanging out and then having a huge, yummy, Thanksgiving dinner. There were about 200 soldiers total I think. The families on the compound get together in groups and the soldiers split up amongst the groups. Our group ended up with about 10 soldiers and I think there were about 4-5 couples from Chevron hosting them. We had HAM!! I'm not exactly sure where it came from. I know you can buy it on base, but you can't get pork in stores in Kuwait. This time, I did remember to take pictures. :) 
My friend's beach

selfie at the beach!

It was windy.

My footprints in the sand. 

My foot in the Gulf with my pre- parent teacher conference pedi. 

The view from the Gale's tent on the beach. 

It was so comfy to just lounge out and look at the water. 

The food! 

Yummy yummy food!

Lots of food!

Um, this is sideways and I'm not sure how to fix it in here. This was my plate of yumminess! 

They made these cute bags of cookies for the troops to take with them. 

Going to the beach to take a picture. 

This is most of the troops (plus a couple Chevron people) I told them they looked a little like a boy band. 

The troops and the Chevron families. I took the pic so I'm not in it. 

I think I told them to do a silly pose here. 

1 comment: