Saturday, June 13, 2015

Sharing the wealth

When I was going through the process of getting my driver's license I had this little prayer in my heart. I don't remember if I actually vocalized it, but I certainly thought it. Being able to drive here is a huge privilege that many people just will not be able to have. If I passed my test and got my license I wanted to be able to use it to help people. As I posted earlier, I was able to get my license and I've been so pleased with the number of opportunities I have had to share that blessing. Maybe I'm seeking out opportunities, maybe I'm just more aware of them, but I think the Lord provides those opportunities if you want them.

I've been able to give people rides to places, pick up supplies for our school "camp", and just take people on a drive. Last week I was able to use my car in another way. My friend and co-worker Brian is very involved with his church group. One of the things he does with his church is help provide food for some of the labor workers here. I believe they go once a month and give out bags of food. They look for buildings that house these workers, work with the building harris (manager) to identify who needs the food, gather the food, and distribute it.

The bags had oil, sugar, rice, lentils, and I'm not sure what else. The building harris had given the men tickets and they have to have a ticket to get a bag- otherwise it gets out of control. These men work so hard for almost nothing. They are packed into the housing and are not treated very well here. There are women too, but not in the same building. Almost all of these workers are here without family. Most work and send the little money they make back home for their families. I think most of them are from India and Bangladesh.

Brian had invited me to come with him before but I got sick and wasn't able to make it. This time we had to work on Saturday and I had a vet appointment with one of the fur babies. I made it home right before we had to leave and a part of me did not want to go. I just wanted to chill at home for awhile. Luckily I caught myself and thought- you never regret giving service, get off your lazy bum and go.

It really helped to put things in perspective. Yes, there are parts of my life that I'm not happy with, but the reality is that I have A LOT to be very thankful for. I'm spoiled really. I have been blessed with a very privileged life and I am so grateful for that. I was happy to give a little bit of service and I was happy my car was being used to share the wealth. Thanks for the invite Brian.

We met at a house where they had already assembled the bags. 
We loaded up the cars, careful to count the number of bags. We didn't want to put too much weight in the cars.
I'm not sure how much each bag weighed but I'd say at least 5 lbs/2kg
My car full with about 50 bags. There were 300 bags in total. 
I've heard it doesn't always go this smooth. The men are to line up to get the bags and they actually did this time.  
They had tickets for the bags. 

This is Brian. 

That's my car helping. :) I actually helped load the cars too so I actually did some work, not just provide my car. 



1 comment:

  1. Really enjoying reading your blog - my younger sister is living in Oman.

    ReplyDelete