Sunday, March 8, 2015

Wadi Rum/Amman- Jordan part 3

The next day we got up early and headed a couple hours away to a place called Wadi Rum. They've filmed movies there... like Lawrence of Arabia. It looked like Southern Utah. I'm discovering Southern Utah everywhere I go. :)

We had a 4x4 jeep ride through the sand and stuff. It was cool, but not super awesome. We were all still a bit exhausted from the trek in Petra the day before. Our driver stopped at this giant sand dune and made a comment about us being able to hike up it. We didn't even get out of the car and told him to drive on.

Mostly we just messed around taking fun pictures of each other (well, not me because I don't allow pictures of me) but I think most were on other people's camera's because I don't have that many. After that we headed back to Amman. There was some castle thing we were supposed to see but all of us said, please just take us to the hotel. Karyn and I spent the evening watching bad movies on TV. Sinae and Sibyl ventured over to the mall for some food- which served us well the next day.

In the morning we headed over to the Amman Citadel, which was pretty cool. We had to catch our flight so we didn't have a lot of time. I think there was something else we were scheduled to do but we made our driver take us to a Dead Sea handmade soap shop instead. At the mall Sinae and Sibyl had found a little kiosk selling this stuff and the girl there told them about the main shop.

If you go do Jordan you really need to check out Trinitae Soap House (8B Rainbow Street (962-6) 463-3953 This shop, newly relocated in a historic villa tucked behind the main street, carries handmade olive oil soaps, blown-glass bottles and the popular Trinity brand of cosmetics, which incorporates minerals from the Dead Sea) It was a great find!

This is Wadi Musa- the town where Petra is. (BTW- Wadi means valley)

Wadi Rum

This is water from Lawrence's Spring that was up that mountain which we were not going to hike. 

I don't think you can really see it, but there's ancient writing on that rock. 











So the driver said we were going to see a rock bridge. I had visions of arches like Southern Utah.
When we pulled up to this all of us were like- Is that it? 

Snow! There was still lots of snow around Jordan. 



Which way to Mecca? Our room was ok at this hotel. Sinae and Sibyl's room was not but they wouldn't change. 

Amman from the Citadel. 

Hercules temple at the Citadel. 




lots of fuzzy caterpillars at the Citadel. 




The museum there USED to have the Dead Sea Scrolls. What a bummer.
The museum where they are at now didn't open until after we needed to leave for the airport. :(







The outside of the Soap House. I don't know why I didn't take pictures of this place.
I had to steal this from Sinae. 

I had heard of Coke Life but hadn't seen it.
I forgot to take pics of the salt and vinegar Bugles we found.  YUM!



Karyn had to fly business class back because the flight was full. 

Welcome back to Kuwait! It looks like everyone and their dog left town and came back the same time as us.
Luckily they processed everything pretty quickly. 

2 comments:

  1. I've just discovered your blog and look forward to reading more! We got to Jordan during a break in Oman and fell totally in love. Never got to Kuwait, but the immigration line looks very familiar ;) RPCV Sri Lanka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea Peace Corps! Sri Lanka is on my list of place to visit. Maybe next winter break. It's pretty cheap to fly there from here. Oman is also on the list. Every person I've talked to that has been there has said it is so beautiful! My sister has a friend in the Foreign Service who was stationed there recently-- I wonder if you were there the same time. Chad someone... I know that's not much help. :)
      The night time Petra was pretty cool but not AMAZING. I enjoyed it.

      Delete